Thursday, April 10, 2008

Chain replacement for Thailand trip.

DID X-Ring 50VM(530VM) 120ZB approx $170
Front Sprocket approx $80
Mileage approx : 111,770km

About a month ago, While cleaning my chain, I notice some *tok *tok sound while rotating the rear wheel slowly. Was it time for my chain or sprocket to go? My drive chain had been running in all sort of condition, hard, fast, gently, slow, sudden, wet, dry, sandy, clean, etc et.... The chain clocked approx. 40,000 KM. I guess its really time to replace them.


D.I.D, My prefered brand.
X-Ring, My prefered choice.


New set of Chain & Sprocket

It was for the best coz I'm going up thailand on friday and cannot affort to have a chain snap(unlikely but super dangerous). I need to travel with a safe and peace mind and to come home to see my worried wife :P


This is 1 Area I always wanted to open up for cleaning.


Tools that are required to open up the sprocket cover and remove the sprocket.
Not forgetting a Jack.

Order from Motor Factor the same set of chain as my current, and a stock front sprocket. Told them to alter to the shortest my wheel could hold. Was comparing my old and new sprocket because it ran almost half the mileage of the drive chain. It did wear enough for me to decide a change.


Comparing the Old and New Sprocket, the (teeth) are
slightly tilted and sharper, a sign of wear.


Old Chain


New Drive Chain, the *tok sound went away.

No comments: